While numerous applications exist to serve these purposes, most of them function somewhat similarly and have the same basic features.
Electronic Calendars for People Who Like Paper
Before detailing some of the key things to know about how to personalize an online calendar to keep track of tasks, is is worth noting that many people still like to have hard copies of their calendars. Fortunately, most of the time is is quite easy to print a calendar that was created on the Internet.
For example, Google Calendar allows its users to print their personalized calendars in whatever view mode they like to use. The directions are easy to follow. When viewing a calendar on a computer connected to a printer, one can simply click on the “settings” icon and then select “print” from the menu. Google Calendar provides various options for formatting the calendar before it is printed.
Even if changes are made electronically to a calendar in any small or large ways, one can simply reprint it. Alternatively, one can simply use a pen or pencil and then write on a calendar that has already been printed.
Personalization Features of Most Online Calendars
Most popular online calendar applications include a similar set of features that can be leveraged for personalization to make it easy to manage appointments and tasks exactly how one sees fit.
- Title of appointment or task. A name of an appointment or task on a calendar can be customized, and it typically appears prominently in any view.
- Description. Each calendar item can usually be described at greater length, but the description is often not displayed unless details are being viewed.
- Start and end times. Typically, a lot of flexibility is available in terms of setting start and end times. One can use increments of hours and days, and sometimes even shorter and longer increments are available.
- Recurrence. If a meeting or task is one that repeats every day, once per week or month, or in other intervals, most popular calendars can automatically set such an event to recur.
- Reminders. One of the best things about online calendars is that one can set them to send reminders or alerts about any event via email or via mobile or desktop notifications.
- Collaboration. Online calendars allow users to invite others to their appointments. This allows people to easily establish real or virtual meetings, share each other’s schedules, and co-edit shared calendars.
- Formatting and viewing options. Most calendars offer a variety of different modes for viewing a calendar whether on a desktop or mobile device. One can view by month, week or by day, for example. Additionally, a bevy of formatting options are typically available to use to provide even more customization.
Desktop or Mobile?
When considering which application to use for personalizing a calendar to manage tasks and appointments, one factor to consider is whether to use one that is mobile or one that is desktop. The right way to go is quite straightforward: one should always use a calendar that is supported on both platforms.
Fortunately, nearly every popular calendar program that is of high quality is usable on both desktop and mobile devices with all of the data stored in the cloud. This means that one can create and edit appointments on a desktop computer and then further personalize them and receive notifications about them on their mobile devices. The reverse of this is also true.
A Variety of Options
Perhaps the biggest challenge related to getting going on personalizing a calendar is selecting which specific application to use given that there are so many options.
The best cheat sheet for helping make this determination starts with the three most widely used options.
- Google Calendar. This aforementioned calendar comes with every bell and whistle that one would expect the search giant to provide.
- iCloud Calendar. Apple’s calendar is built into its mobile and desktop devices, but it also easily integrates data from other calendars into it.
- Outlook Calendar This calendar, part of the Microsoft Office suite, is very popular with businesses and others who primarily use PC computers.
While less popular, there are dozens of other high-quality online calendars out there that work well for a variety of specific purposes.
What About Task Lists?
Many people find that what they need in addition to or instead of a calendar is a simple program for managing their “to do” lists. Numerous robust task-list applications exist that include some of the similar features that make online calendars so great. Sometimes these are stand-alone products, while other times they are integrated in larger suites of programs.
Whether one uses a personalized online calendar or task list and regardless of which specific application, the next step is to get to know its features and stay diligent about using it on a regular basis. Once checking and updating it becomes part of a daily routine, one’s life starts to feel much more organized.